Sunday, January 22, 2012

Considering a new project... thoughts?

(Above inspirational photo courtesy of Agis Neugebauer... excuse me while I drool!)

Howdy all!

Recently been thinking about possibly tackling a new project... wanted to see what folks thought!

I've never painted any sort of modern troops, and thought that might be fun!

So... the idea was inspired by an article I read in Wargames Illustrated; a set of modern troops with a modular set of buildings and road tiles to go with them.  The project would have four parts:

First, a small force of modern US troops.  I am thinking around 20 infantry, a pair of humvees, and an M1A1 Abrams would do nicely.  I could add something to it later (a LAV-25 or a chopper) but I think that is basically all I would need.

Second, a slightly larger force of generic Middle Eastern enemies.  I am not sure if I want to do more of an Afghan style enemy (wearing traditional Afghan headwear) or a more insurgent type of force with masks and such.  Thoughts?

Third, I would get a bunch of the MDF buildings from GameCraft miniatures.  They have some great stuff, and it seems very affordable.  I'd have to get a number of buildings... maybe 12 or 15 smaller ones and 8 or so mid-sized/larger ones.


Lastly, I'd make up a set of modular boards for it.  I think a bunch of boards which are 1x1 would do it.  I think I'd do maybe eight with various road layouts, and something special for the other two... maybe one with some fields, and one with a small oasis.  I'd make parts of it raised, maybe using a heavy cardboard, to represent city sidewalks and to help make the roads stick out.  I'd probably also pick up some palm trees and some various assorted bits and pieces you'd find in a city that you could use as cover... jersey barriers, barbed wire, oil drums, etc.

I would then do a set of rules for all of this as a "solo play" game where you control the Americans and the terrain and enemies are randomly generated and can fight without you... I think that would be pretty sweet:)

So!  Any suggestions for the new project?

7 comments:

The Lord of Excess said...

Ya that gamecraft middle east stuff is so tempting ... I'm waiting on a massive order of the 28 MM old west stuff that I ordered a few weeks back still, very excited to receive it. It looks like you've keyed in on the Pegasus plastic palm trees as well. Gail Force Nine makes some good stuff for that kind of a setup too but their stuff tends to be rather spendy.

Are you going 15 MM presumably? If so I have a question about what ranges of figures your looking at, I've been looking to try to get into modern 15s but I've heard the ranges available are lacking still (I honestly haven't done a ton of research on this as I have a full plate for minis this year, I'm looking at that for 2013).

I really like your idea for "solo" play. Honestly that would be a great "cooperative play" option as well.

Extremely awesome idea though sir ... very interested to hear more about this project!

Scott said...

Whoa, first comment...

A modern US Army platoon is ~40 guys. I have a personal preference for the Stryker platoon organization, but that may be because a friend of mine is a company XO in a Stryker BN.

I'd suggest building a full platoon, even if you don't ever plan on fielding them all at once.

Nate said...

I for one would watch your project with great interest, I say go for it!

cheers

Nate

The Lord of Excess said...

Whoa? Did I say something wrong? If so sorry :(

R Singers said...

Have you considered the Empress Miniatures modern range http://www.empressminiatures.com/page9.htm

They look pretty sweet.

Greg Sapara said...

I say go for it!!

I have collections in both 20 and 28mm, and couldn't be happier with the selection and quality of miniatures, and rules, that are currently out there.

Best of luck with your decision!
GregS

Author said...

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for popping on by and sharing your thoughts!:)

LoE... a buddy of mine did a great Old West setup, albeit in 15mm... you might enjoy taking a peek, if you didn't already see them...!

http://lordashramshouseofwar.blogspot.com/search/label/15mm_Cowboys

I am thinking 15mm... I was looking at the figures from Rebel... Greg, Rob, the reason I was thinking about going 15mm is because I want to keep it on a very small scale. If I could find 10mm moderns I would!:D

And yeah, I would like to do a solo play game, and maybe a coop too... while it could be tricky, I think that having a game like that could be a lot of fun. I'll see if I can find that issue of WI that had the info about the project I used as an inspiration.

Scott, yeah, it definitely is not "correct" as far as numbers. I do appreciate your comment (and the info posted on TMP) for sure. However, in the interest of saving a few dollars and a bit of painting time, I might start on a smaller, less-accurate scale... enough to game with, you know? However, if it goes well, I might get it up to correct scales!:)

I think the "whoa" was because he was surprised he had the first comment... although he didn't really, it LOOKED that way because I hadn't approved the real first comment yet either:) Certainly nothing personal!:)

Oh and Rob, I LOVE the Empress stuff... the only thing is the scale:( I just can't do a 28mm collection... I want to keep it smaller and cheaper (and quicker to paint!:) )

Thanks for coming by, guys!