Friday, June 17, 2011

"Deadwood" scene started

Howdy folks!

Well, now that I finally finished my Space Wolf project, I can move on to the next one... namely, my scene from the HBO show "Deadwood" of Al Swearengen at the bar of the Gem Saloon.

I did a wooden base for it.  I then did the floor, wall, and front.  I may do a little frame out as well.  I put a large column in the back, and will do a few little simple decorative details.  Then I've got to make the bar and the area behind it... I want to wait until I get the bottles to make them, however, so I know how wide to make it... I'd like to get at least two bottles deep in the back!

Anyway... more coming tomorrow.  If you have any suggestions or comments, please do share!

5 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

A great start, looking forward to seeing the bar develop. Good luck, Michael

JM said...

Looks good so far! I've seen a few people use pins or something pointy to put "nail holes" on the ends of the planks. It looks really simple but effective! Let me see if I can find a good example of it for you.

Victor said...

Looks great so far. I loved the Harry Potter scene you did, so I'm sure this one will be just as amazing.

Anonymous said...

If you need more bottles, glasses, candles and such, you can easily make more.

The trick is to take a short piece of round, plastic sprue (maybe 2-3 inches long), hold each end in your fingers, and heat the center gently over a flame (candle, tea light, etc.). When the plastic gets soft enough to stretch, gently pull apart, 'thinning' the center section slightly. Remove from the heat and let it cool. Cut it in half, and then trim it to the proper size for a bottle, glass w/stem or other container.

dglennjr@yahoo.com

Author said...

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for coming by... Josiah, thanks for the idea, I am totally stealing that!:) If you can find any examples I'd love to see it.

Vic, thanks so much! I really liked the way the Potter scene turned out, but it was my first big scene like that, so I learned a lot... and the CoolMini folks are brutal!:)

Glenn, thanks for the advice, that is a great method... if I need them I will definitely use that method.

Thanks guys... always loved chatting toy soldiers with people!:)