Saturday, January 24, 2009

10mm Nap. French - The Old Guard 1

Now, when it comes to the Napoleonic wars, there are a few iconic units.

The Scots Grays... Greenjackets... but maybe the most iconic of all are Napoleon's Old Guard.

Now, I have a few units of these guys in 25mm, but I thought I would go ahead and share the first of my 10mm units of them!

The Old Guard were formidable, made up exclusively of well-cared-for veterans of many campaigns. They were easily identifiable by their massive bearskins and their broad shoulders... men were required to be of a certain height to join the Guard! They look a bit darker on the battlefield than the regular French infantry, and they stand out quite a bit.

There commander actually wears a bearskin as well, and holds his sword over his head as he beckons his men forward!

A funny aside; I am an elementary school teacher, and while teaching my kids how to create and use flashcards to study for test, the "vocab" word I used on the example flashcard was "The Old Guard." Now all the kids I have taught over the years know exactly who "The Old Guard" are!

2 comments:

Ozvortex said...

Your 10mm Napoleonics look great!

Author said...

Hey!

Thanks for stopping by, and for the compliment... I think they look awfully neat as well. Plus... there are a LOT of them, so that is always a plus:)

Thanks for coming by!