Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Updates; the Wargames Room and Table

I was rebuilding the table last night (and will continue tonight) and thought this would be a good time for a few more photos of the wargames room, along with a few shots of the table being assembled.

First off, a few shots of the room.

There have not been many changes recently. The only major change was moving the dueling print from above the painting table to next to the door. I
then put in its place the French army handkerchef. I still have my two photos of the ships to hang, as well as my two panoramics of Gettysburg (I have everything for those but the glass... I MUST get working on those) and of course my 1864 pack. Dammit there is a lot to do!

The cabinets are almost full. However, this includes a shelf of Lord of the
Rings figures, and a VERY full shelf of a Warhammer Empire Army that, quite frankly, I am considering selling... if you are interested in a fully customized Middenheim army in the realm of 6000 points, lemme know!

The painting table is, as all working tables are, messy as heck. Oh well. At the moment it has a unit of 25mm Russian Napoleonic Grenadiers on it, some of my 15mm WWII Germans, some 25mm French Napoleonic Lancers, and even a Warhammer Empire General on a Griffon. Good stuff!

Now, onto the table. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the table is a frame, inside of
which sits foam on a plywood base. I put a piece of green felt over the foam, and then use the inner frame pieces to hold the felt down tight.

To the right is a hill I made last night, or more accurately a ridge for the edge of the table. It is made of standard insulation foam, carved with a kitchen knife. It doesn't need to be beautiful, as it is covered by the felt!

Next up on the left you can see one of the inner frame pieces. These pieces are covered with a molding so that when they are dropped in, you cannot see the seam between inner and outer frame.

You can see in the next shot on the right the ridge placed under the felt. The felt is pulled up in that you can see the edge of the pink foam; this felt is then tucked under the edge of the table and the inner frame piece is dropped in, which pulls the felt very tight around the foam.

Finally on the left you can see the frame piece being put back into place. The inner frames hold the felt in place, and also keep the whole table snug. So far this method seems to work very well for me!

If anyone has any other things they want to see of the table, please just let me know and I'll be happy to post photos.

3 comments:

ColCampbell50 said...

All very nicely done.

If I might make a suggestion. You mentioned a "French Army handkerchef" which I presume is the object on the wall above your painting desk. As an archivist, I would highly recommend you place this fabric item where it does not get any direct light, either sunlight or intense room light. The ultraviolet rays (UV) from sunlight and fluorescent lighting will gradually fade and discolor the fabric, ruining what is otherwise a very nice piece.

I am envious of your set-up and wish I had room for something similar.

Jim

Author said...

Thanks for the advice!

It is a Mouchoirs D'Instruction Militaire; this particular one is number 9. It is in good shape, although not fantastic. The spot it is in is actually pretty good; no sunlight at all, and the only moderately strong light is actually below it facing down... it should be a perfect spot (I hope!) Thank you tho for the advice!

Can I ask, since you seem to know this stuff... I have an original civil war backpack I want to display... do you know of an affordable wall-hanging case that might work?

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoy the blog... if you are ever in northern NJ, stop by for a game!:)

Coyotebd said...

Great idea on the inner frame. I need to figure out a similar strategy for my table. Unfortunately it is a temporary table formed from two folding tables.