Friday, February 1, 2013

Four shadow boxes ruined...

Yep.  For some reason, every tape I am using for masking off the clear spots of the shadow box for the "Zero Dark Thirty" diorama is leaving behind really bad residue.  I've now had FOUR boxes ruined by various problems (one with tiny fractures that I didn't notice on purchase, one exacto accident, two spray paint/tape problems).  I am getting SO damn frustrated.  At this point I think I'll have to use balsa to mask, because every tape (masking, painters, special masking paper) is leaving a residue.  Could the spray paint be causing the problem?

*sigh*  Should have been done a week, and thirty dollars, ago.

3 comments:

Andyroo said...

Have you tried maskol http://www.humbrol.com/accessories/miscellaneous/ac5217-maskol-28ml-bottle-ac5217/ - it may be a pain to get straight lines but may solve the issue?

David Larkins said...

Is the residue etching the plastic? If it's just a case of goo you can't get off, I can't recommend Goo Gone highly enough. That stuff will dissolve any kind of tape residue without harming the stuff underneath.

Scott MacPhee said...

What tapes have you been trying? Blue painter's tape usually works, but if you're having problems, you may want to try a modeling specific tape, like Tamiya's.